Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Two new Cattleya trianae

I'm pretty picky these days when buying plants - fewer but higher quality is the rule.  My collection is a bit thin on C. trianae, so I bought two nice ones from Ecuagenera, one of which is shown in the cardboard box.  They arrived bare root, which is how plants from South America usually arrive.  You can see a new growth beginning.  The white roots are alive.  Once new root growth begins I'll pot these up in 6" baskets.  Mature plants seem to handle this transition with little problem - they have lots of resources to draw on from large, older growths.  I have had much more trouble establishing seedlings shipped in this way.  Flower pics are from Ecuagenera.

2 comments:

  1. I only have one and I wish it were healthier. I will try it in a basket since it seems to be more in need of getting dry between watering than some Catts. Here is a picture of its flower http://www.backbulb.com/BPic0416.asp

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice trianae is really something. Big flowers, nicely shaped petals, lasts a long time and nice fragrance. I have a C. trianae 'A.C. Burrage" in bud. I'll post it in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete