Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Imported C. percivaliana

A while back I posted that I had acquired a few bare root imports from S. America.  I had mixed success getting them established.  Here is one that is only now starting to show some vigor, a C. percivaliana, which based on the sheath, looks like it will flower this winter.  

I don't think I am going to be doing much ordering of bare root plants from S. American vendors unless there is really something special available - in my conditions it can be hard to get these plants going and for all I know, even in optimal conditions it may be tricky.  These plants are typically dried down prior to shipping, so bareroot in these cases may mean "no live roots".  For what it's worth, I had much better success with my orders from Bela Vista than my orders from Floralia and Ecuagenera.  I can't say for sure that there is a difference among these vendors in how plants are prepped or in the health of the plants - it could be the particular plants I've ordered.  It is simply an empirical observation.


No comments:

Post a Comment