Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cattcylaelia Banana Split

I've sworn off hybrids, not because I have anything against them, but simply because if you have limited space and want to build a nice collection, it helps to have a smaller universe of potential plants. 

But as I was going through the H & R Nurseries catalog, I couldn't resist giving this hybrid a try.  The name is strange.  I went to the RHS Orchid database to figure this out.  Well, according to H & R this hybrid is a cross of Lc. Pixie x Encyclia cordigera.  So, what is Lc. Pixie?  It is a cross of Cattleya crispata x Guarianthe Guatemalensis.  So, what is Guarianthe Guatemalensis? It is a cross (also a natural hybrid) between Guarianthe aurantiaca and Guarianthe skinneri.  These two species were in the Cattleya genus for many years, and if you ask me, they should have just left them there - many people still refer to then as Cattleya, including Jay Pfahl's site.  Cattleya crispata has also been known as Sophronitis crispata and Laelia flava.  That is why H & R refers to one of the parents as Laeliocattleya Pixie - traditionally, the parents of that cross have been known as Laelia flava and Cattleya Guatemalensis - L and C.  Anyway, the botanists have created a taxonomic mess. 

So, why did I buy this hybrid?  The description from H & R made it sound good.  But to really see why this hybrid is appealing, I suggest you check out the description at Marble Branch Farms - while you're there you'll see their name for this plant is slightly different from that at H & R.  It sounds like a terrific little hybrid.  By the way, Marble Branch Farms is a great nursery and the only reason I didn't buy these plants there was that I was looking to H & R for the walkerianas and ended up getting two of these just for the hell of it.  MBF has lots of interesting hybrids for those of you that grow hybrids.

No comments:

Post a Comment