Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cattleya Dalaginding


This is one of the first orchids I acquired - a cross between C. Angelwalker and C. Old Whitey.  It doesn't seem common - I haven't seen one for sale since.  Like most large white cattleyas, it is very fragrant.  This blooming is from a couple of years ago.  The plant is not doing well, but I hope to bring it back into good condition this year.  In spite of its poor condition, it wanted to bloom off its last growth.  I removed the buds so the plant could allocate more of its resources to growth.

3 comments:

  1. My first Catt is also a large white. C. Clark Hermann (C. Majorie Hausermann x C. Fred Cole). Rec'd in trade last year as a two pseudobulb division. It bloomed this year on a new growth. Very happy.

    I saw that C. Angelwalker is a Jones & Scully cross.

    Any idea what the name Dalaginding refers to ??

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie,
    I have actually no idea on the name. It wasn't on the tag when I bought the plant, but I looked it up on the RHS website.

    The big white cattleyas are nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Dalaginding" is a Tagalog word for a young female right before becoming a teenager.

    ReplyDelete