Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cattleya walkeriana initiating growth

I have tried growing this species a few times, always killing it.  This time I am going to try mounting on a piece of cork bark.  Normally when I kill a species a few times I move on and decide I'm not going to waste any more money.  However, at the Sonoma Orchid Society show earlier this year I saw a small division of C. walkeriana semi-alba from Austin Creek Orchids for just $25 - for that price I decided to give it one more shot.  This was the only plant I bought at the show.  It has just been sitting unpotted doing nothing for a couple of months.  Now the new growth is initiating - when the roots take off I will mount it.

1 comment:

  1. The time for mounting is now that you know where the new growth is. Put that next to the cork so that the when the roots develop they will attach right away. You saved yourself problems by having it un-potted.

    The Cattleya forbesii I got from you is putting out a second and third sprout. I cut the first one off and mounted it.

    ReplyDelete