Monday, January 10, 2011

More evidence of problems

OK, here is another C. labiata.  This is a seedling I bought from Miranda Orchids a couple of years ago.  Two problems.  First, the bud blasted.  Second, older leaves are yellowing.  Though it is not abnormal for older leaves to yellow and drop off, I don't usually see it on such young plants.  Furthermore, I think there is more yellowing/leaf drop occurring overall in the collection this winter compared to last winter.  Low temps can precipitate leaf drop, but since temps have been maintained at a higher level this winter compared to last, I'm inferring that burning propane is the explanation.

Below is a pic of the first bloom from last year.  I think this year would have been considerably better, though still with only one flower.
Live and learn, I guess...and be patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment